Barberry Garden

A wine corner in a crazy world


R.D. - 1990


4.2 / 5.0

France » Champagne AOC
white traditional sparkling, extra brut
On lees
156 months
Pinot Noir, Chardonnay
not available
Bollinger R.D. 1990

This blend consists of 69% Pinot Noir and 31% Chardonnay, with 67% of the grapes sourced from Grands Crus vineyards and the remaining 33% from Premiers Crus.


4.2 / 5.0750 ml@MI6 · La Grande Années

This second bottle of '90 R.D. is notably in a much better state than the previous one. It possesses a rich and evolved bouquet, full of autumn forest scents, uzvar, yellow plum jam, buckwheat honey, wet wood, and mushrooms. The wine's character is distinctly mineral and vinous. Delicious.

Wine #8 on La Grande Années event.

4.0 / 5.0750 ml@MI6 · Champagne Party by Anna Vol. 2

This bottle seems to have met its end; it's turned a murky amber, signifying over-oxidation. The nose is reminiscent of low-end Madeira, uzvar and a forest in the autumn, complete with the earthy scent of decaying leaves (I love that smell). Despite its state, there's still complexity here, and surprisingly, the palate retains a certain freshness. It's a pity, no doubt, but even in its decline, this wine offered an intriguing tasting experience.

Wine #5 on Champagne Party by Anna Vol. 2 event.


Bollinger, a renowned French Champagne house, has been a symbol of luxury sparkling wines since its establishment in 1829 in Aÿ, France. Founded by Hennequin de Villermont, Paul Renaudin, and Jacques Bollinger, it remains one of the few independent Champagne houses, continuously managed by the Bollinger family since 1889. Bollinger's uniqueness lies in its deep roots in the Champagne region, dating back to 1585 with the Hennequin family. This storied history, coupled with their commitment to maintaining family management and independence, sets them apart in an industry increasingly dominated by large conglomerates.

Over the years, Bollinger has built its vineyards at the heart of the finest crus in Champagne. Champagne Bollinger’s 179 hectares of vines are made up of 85% Grand and Premier crus and are farmed by teams of growers across 7 separate vineyards: Aÿ, Avenay, Tauxières, Louvois and Verzenay for pinot noir, around the Montagne de Reims, Cuis for chardonnay on the Côte des Blancs and Champvoisy for meunier in the Vallée de la Marne.

Another of Bollinger’s distinctive features are two plots, the Clos Saint-Jacques and Chaudes Terres, which have never succumbed to phylloxera. These ungrafted vines are entirely tended by hand and reproduced using a form of layering called provignage, thereby providing the means to preserve this extraordinary heritage from which the very exclusive Vieilles Vignes Françaises cuvée is produced.